Friday, July 17, 2009

Whispers of His Power: God's Strength

Amy Carmichael's love for the Lord and whole-hearted service are an inspiration to me. I've been reading Whispers of His Power, a daily devotional book, and these two devotionals were a help to me recently.
July 7
Psalm 39:13 - O spare me, that I may recover strength (Kay): That I may smile again.
Amos 8:8-9 - The Lord . . . that strengtheneth the spoiled against the strong, so that the spoiled shall come against the fortress.
According to Young, the Hebrew word balag used in these two verses means "to brighten up, encourage, comfort." It is a lovely prayer to use when we feel weary and dull. "Lord, brighten me up; encourage me."
All of us who are fighting the Lord's battles know only too well what it is to appear as the spoiled before the strong. Here is His promise for us then. The Lord will strengthen us so that the fortress will be taken and the Lord Himself will triumph. What more could we want?
July 15
Proverbs 8:14 - Counsel is Mine and sound wisdom: I am understanding; I have strength.
Job 28:23 - God understandeth the way thereof and He knoweth the place thereof.
God understands. There are no ways and no places that He does not understand.
Have you ever thought what a tremendous difference it would make to our lives if this were not true? Imagine the feelings of a soldier if he had good reason to doubt that his commanding officer understood the situation. We are soldiers. Our Commander understands. His understanding is infinite (Ps. 147:5). Though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident (Ps. 27:3).
Because of His infinite understanding, God knows that we want to be sure that the One who says He understands has been through the mill Himself. And so we have this wonderful touch of His special understanding in Proverbs 8, where it is clear that the speaker is our Lord Jesus Christ Himself. I am Understanding. I, the Man of Sorrows acquainted with grief, I who was tempted in all points just as you are, I am Understanding.
It is restful to be understood, to be with one who never misjudges. Let us rest in His presence today.

1 comment:

Janna said...

AMen. YOu encourage me to read more.