Monday, September 18, 2006

Icarus

I decided to test my literary wings on my own blog. I just hope my wings don't melt and I plunge into the ocean, which really isn't too far from where I live. I've been thinking about starting a blog for a while, especially since I moved to the other side of the world. I hope this will help me stay connected with my friends Stateside and give me a place to share what I am learning here in Guam. My best friend wants to hear more about my experiences teaching in Guam, so I hope to accomodate her on this blog. I'm sure you caught the obvious allusion in my blog title and description--most of my friends should have no difficulty with that one--but I'd like to elaborate a little on the description. I am a teacher; I teach 11th and 12th grade English and Yearbook at Harvest Christian Academy in Barrigada, Guam. I would like to share with you some of the stories, experiences, and lessons I learn while teaching at this wonderful school. I love to teach, but I also love to learn. I frequently think about what correspondence course or degree I could work on next (my mom is probably cringing right now because she knows my track record with correspondence courses). I love to read! I always have a book on my nightstand and lately I've been staying up late to finish the good books I've found (Black Hawk Down, Papa's Wife, and My Antonia are the most recent to spend a few days on the nightstand). I am also attempting to be a student of God's Word. I'd like to use this space to share some of the lessons God is teaching me. And I am an "islander." I moved to Guam 14 months ago and I love it here! I enjoy the relaxed way of life (though life is NOT slow at Harvest) and the fantastic scenery. The island people are wonderful and I am learning more about the culture every week. I'll probably share with you some of the oddities and neat things about living in a melting pot of cultures like I do. There is no place like Guam; I say that with fondness--but with a touch of frustration at times! Well, I've got to get back to being a teacher and finish grading a stack of papers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, correspondence courses! I remember them so well! The frustration, the procrastination, the guilt! Dave just received four credits worth of correspondence courses in the mail yesterday. Glad it's not me.

I'm so excited about your blog, Natalie! I'm looking forward to hearing some wisdom from an experienced teacher and islander.

Anonymous said...

I really dig your new blog! Especially when you talk about your wonderful roomate, my daughter, Kelly! (Elizabeth ain't bad either. But she can be a little ornery!) Also enjoyed the part about Irish Football! I'm glad to see that you have become a true convert. And it seems that you are becoming a real student of the game. Keep up the good work! And Go Irish!