Monday, February 05, 2007

Faculty Recital

On Friday February 2, Harvest hosted the 8th annual Faculty Recital. Faculty and staff members worked for several weeks (or longer) to prepare piano solos, piano duets, vocal solos and duets, and instrumental numbers. There was great variety in the styles of pieces performed and a nice blend of everything from serious classical music (I sang "Mon couer s'ouvre a ta voix" from Samson et Dalila) to fiddling (Kelly played the "Orange Blossom Special") to a funny rendition of "I Need a Man" (to the tune of "Part of Your World") to the theme from the Pink Panther as performed by the music faculty on percussion instruments.

On Monday of last week I started to get a sore throat and by Wednesday, I had a full-blown cold. On Thursday during my last couple of classes I started to lose my voice and my voice only got worse on Friday. I drank several cups of tea and swallowed spoonfuls of honey and prayed! When I got up to sing I had no idea what would come out. God was so gracious! I was able to sing! I made it through my song, and although it wasn't as strong or expressive as I would have liked, my voice didn't crack and I was able to sustain the long and high notes. Many people commented that they had no idea that I had a cold. After I was done singing, my voice was pretty much shot for the evening and didn't really start to get better until today. I am so thankful to be a testimony of how God's strength and power works through us when we are weak. There was no way I could have sung that song the way I did without the grace of God.

My wonderful accompanist, Lisa Flower, and me after the recital. The piano part was very challenging, but she did a beautiful job and even covered for my mistakes!

My roommate, Kelly Schlarb, and me. Kelly dressed in-character to add to the mood of the piece. Everyone loved it and she even played it again for the encore.

The music faculty:

No comments: