Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Books I read in February 2009

Worldliness ed. by CJ Mahaney Don't read this book if you don't want to change. I thought I was doing all right and that my standards were pretty good . . . until I read this book. I especially appreciated all of the questions that address the heart. I'm so glad I read this book, even if it did mean giving up some things I used to watch, read, etc. I'm reading this book to my homeroom and I'm praying that it will help them think through their choices about media, music, materialism, and modesty. Choosing Forgiveness by Nancy Leigh DeMoss This is a great book. I think the name of the book is pretty self-explanatory. I especially liked the chapters dispelling the ideas we have to forgive God and forgive ourselves. It always rubbed me the wrong way when people said they "forgave God" for something He did to them or that they "couldn't forgive themselves." Excellent Biblical counsel and a clean style. I highly recommend this book. No. 1 Ladies Detective Series by Alexander McCall Smith Last year, I read a couple of books from the beginning of this series and picked up a few more from my favorite library this month. The series follows the adventures of Mma Precious Ramotswe, a detective in Botswana. The stories are charming and amusing. I haven't been able to read the series in order, but the books are written in such a way that you can jump from one to another; there's a loose story line linking the books, but for the most part, the novels are episodic. I'm still working through the series, so I look forward to reading more. Here's a list of the complete series:
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (1998) Tears Of The Giraffe (2000) Morality for Beautiful Girls (2001) The Kalahari Typing School for Men (2002) The Full Cupboard of Life (2004) In The Company of Cheerful Ladies (2004) Blue Shoes and Happiness (2006) The Good Husband of Zebra Drive (2007) The Miracle at Speedy Motors (2008) Tea Time for the Traditionally Built (2009)
These are the ones I read this month.

No comments: