Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Books I Read in May 2009

May isn't quite over yet, so I might be able to read more before the end of the month; I'm going to be flying to Vermont tomorrow, so I wouldn't be surprised if I can read a book or two during the 22 hours of flights and 7 hours of layovers. Oddly enough, I'll do all of that reading in one day. I leave Guam on Friday morning, fly to Thursday night in Honolulu, fly all night and Friday morning to Newark and then arrive in VT around 6pm on Friday. This extra long day makes up for the one I'll lose on the return flight to Guam. Christian Living: Whispers of His Power by Amy Carmichael I won a gift certificate for a free book (for my Peppermint Chocolate Cake in the baking contest for the Mother/Daughter fellowship) and Mrs. Herron recommended this daily devotional by Amy Carmichael. As Mrs. Herron said, this book is "food for the soul." I've only read a few entries so far, but the Scriptures and illustrations and explanations are excellent. I'm looking forward to learning and growing more this year as I read from this book every morning. A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 by Phillip Keller On Sunday morning, Pastor preached an excellent sermon on Psalm 23 and referenced this book a couple of times. (The sermon should be available here in a few days.) After the service I immediately went to the bookstore and bought a copy. Keller was a scientist, a shepherd, and later a pastor. His insights into the nature of sheep and the character of God are extraordinary. I was reminded of the diligent care of the Good Shepherd. God is such a wise, caring, and tender Provider. If by Amy Carmichael I read this little book a couple of weeks ago. How convicting! The phrase "I know nothing of Calvary love" has been echoing in my mind, especially when I find myself doing something unloving. I plan to reread this book soon and spend some more time meditating on the truths of the poem and the short essays in the 3rd section. I would be doing that now, but I gave away my copy and the bookstore is out! Believing God by Beth Moore I finished this study this week. Later, I'll write more about what I learned. I & II Peter Bible Study by John MacArthur My Sunday school class has been studying I&II Peter this semester, and I just finished this book. I also plan on writing more about this study later. Fiction: Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer This is the third book in the Twilight series. Parts of the story were interesting, but like I've written before, there are some long, slow sections. I kind of lost interest in the series. I read this book at the beginning of May and haven't bothered to get the fourth one yet. I'm sure I'll read Breaking Dawn this summer and then I'll summarize my opinions of the series. This post was designed to make you come back later and read more. :-) I didn't do this on purpose, but I have things to say about several of these books that would work better in separate posts. From the ridiculous to the sublime . . . The Circle Trilogy (Black, Red, White) by Ted Dekker WOW! An incredible series! What a beautiful allegory of redemption. I couldn't possibly summarize the plot and do these books justice, but you need to read these books. All three books are sold in one copy, which is a good thing because the books don't really end; you have to read all three together. I read all three books in about a week and a half--and during the last week of school, nonetheless! You won't be able to put these books down.

No comments: