Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Books I Read in March 2009

Humility: True Greatness by CJ Mahaney I learned so much from this book and I am continuing to apply the truths I learned. This is the kind of book you should read every year or so because no matter how much you weaken pride and cultivate humility, you'll still find pride in your heart: "The real issue here is not if pride exists in your heart; it's where pride exists and how pride is being expressed in your life" (29). Mahaney directs our attention to Christ, who is the example of true greatness and true humility and then suggests many practical ways we can practice humility every day (and even while we sleep!). Here's his list of suggestions, which are developed in the chapters of the book:
Always: 1. Reflect on the wonder of the cross of Christ. As each day begins: 2. Begin your day by acknowledging your dependence upon God and your need for God. 3. Begin your day expressing gratefulness to God. 4. Practice the spiritual disciplines--prayer, study of God's Word, worship. Do this consistently each day and at the day's outset, if possible. 5. Seize your commute time to memorize and meditate on Scripture. 6. Cast your cares upon Him, for He cares for you. As each day ends: 7. At the end of the day, transfer the glory to God. 8. Before going to sleep, receive this gift of sleep from God and acknowledge His purpose for sleep. For special focus: 9. Study the attributes of God. 10. Study the doctrines of grace. 11. Study the doctrine of sin. 12. Play golf as much as possible. 13. Laugh often, and laugh often at yourself. Throughout your days and weeks: 14. Identify evidences of grace in others. 15. Encourage and serve others each and every day. 16. Invite and pursue correction. 17. Respond humbly to trials.
Stop Dating the Church: Fall in Love with the Family of God by Joshua Harris Now, I'm not struggling with church attendance or commitment to the local church (I love my church!), but the title of this book has intrigued me for several years. I finally bought it during the fabulous February sale at Sovereign Grace (hence the greater number of Sovereign Grace books you'll see on my reading list in the next few months. Mark your calendars and order from them next February!). This book helped me understand Christ's love for the local church and how important the church is. I especially like the chapter "Rescuing Sunday." Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan I've been reading through this new series as each book comes out. The fifth, and final, book has been published and as soon as it comes out in paperback, I'll read it and put it on my classroom shelf. I like how these books teach mythology in an interesting, adventure-filled story. My students love this series! I learn a lot too! For example, I didn't realize before that Daedalus built the Labyrinth (I'm sorry Dr. Silvester; that story slipped by me in Classical and Medieval Literature. Truth be told, a lot of things slipped by me in that class. It was my worst grade in my major classes . . . I teach mythology in my senior World Literature class now, because I don't want my students to be as lost and overwhelmed as I was when I heard all the stories for the first time.) I read a couple more books from The Mitford Series by Jan Karon during spring break:

No comments: